Youth Leadership Spokane (YLS) develops the next generation of servant leaders by creating strong and healthy youth, and empowering them for service to each other and to their community.
Youth Leadership Spokane Program
Youth Leadership Spokane brings together roughly 30 sophomores, juniors and seniors from all Spokane County public and private schools for an intensive, 10-month program. Each of the class sessions is held at a different location. This allows students the opportunity to tour important locations in the Spokane community. In the past, class locations have included: Waste to Energy Plant, Inland Northwest Blood Center, a TV station, the Police Academy, Fox Theater, Spokesman-Review Press.
Participants explore how to become citizen leaders in the community.
There is a full day team-building retreat in August, followed by one evening meeting a month, September through May.
Applications for Youth Leadership Spokane are available in the spring each year, and the class is chosen in early summer.
- You will understand and refine your unique role as a young servant leader in this community with hands-on experiences that tap your artistic and creative side.
- In addition to servant leadership, you’ll study diversity and learn how to lead effectively and well in cultures different from your own.
- You’ll learn about how the county and its cities govern themselves.
- You’ll gain understanding of the effects of poverty, substance abuse and crime.
- You’ll build skills in communication, running a meeting, team building and interviewing.
- You’ll have opportunities to mentor and be mentored and work cross-generational.
- You’ll be able to put your new skills into practice with service projects.
- You’ll get to know area leaders and will become an important part of a key leadership network that is leading this community into the future.
Leadership Spokane is proud to partner with the Horizon Credit Union and YMCA of the Inland Northwest.
Our partnership broadens outreach and improves service to area youth.